Monday, July 18, 2011

Clean Eating Black Bean Burgers

Makes 10 Burgers
This recipe came about because we had "nothing" in the house and a pack of hungry kids. By nothing I mean I didn't have my standard go-to protein sources of chicken breast and ground turkey. Since we're not vegetarian, we generally have some type of meat with dinner. But when I don't have any in the house it makes me realize how single-minded my cooking is in some ways. Combining whole grains and beans creates a complete protein and we have about a million cans of black beans in our house from a totally awesome sale a few months back so we decided to give black bean burgers a try. They were a HUGE success. The toddlers devoured them including my super picky nephew and Matt, Anthea, and I all got to eat ours with two hands without having to force feed anybody. That's a big success in my book :)

Ingredients:

  • 3 medium carrots, grated
  • Half a medium onion, finely chopped (I grated mine since I was already grating the carrots)
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tsp onion powder
  • 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 cup kale
  • 1/2 cup packed cilantro leaves
  • 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (I used ground unfrosted mini wheats)
  • 1 tsp salt
ONE: Spray a skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add the onions and carrots and saute for 2 minutes. Stir in the cumin, chili, garlic, and onion powder and continue to cook until the veggies are soft. Remove from heat and set aside in a large bowl.

TWO: Place drained beans, kale, and cilantro in a food processor and pulse several times until beans are mostly mashed but a few chunks still remain.

THREE: Add the beans, mustard, bread crumbs, and salt to the bowl of veggies and stir to combine. Scoop out scant 1/3 cup portions and form into patties.

FOUR: Heat the skillet you cooked the veggies in over medium heat and spray generously with cooking spray. Place the patties in the skillet a few at a time and cook 4 minutes a side until lightly browned and heated through.

TO FREEZE: Before cooking, form the patties and place them in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Place in the freezer for about 20 minutes to flash freeze the outsides and then place them all together in a freezer bag. Defrost overnight and cook according to the directions above.

After cooking, follow the same directions as above and reheat in the microwave.

NUTRITION INFO:


Per Serving (1 burger) - 124 Calories (7 Calories from Fat), 1g Total Fat, 0mg Cholesterol, 463mg Sodium, 22g Carbohydrates, 6g Dietary Fiber, 4g Sugar, 6g Protein, 75% DV Vitamin A, 13% DV Vitamin C, 5% DV Calcium, 36% DV Iron

:)

3 comments:

  1. mmmmm, yummy! These burgers are fantastic! Partly due to distraction and partly because I'm not a huge fan of cumin, I only put in half the amount of the spices. We ate these on whole wheat buns with spinach, tomato and ketchup! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is very interesting for me and others, I will return very soon for other items, thank you very much!


    fat freezing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did this tonight, and I must say the cilantro REALLY overwhelmed the burger, but overall I liked it! Going to try again with different ingredients. :)

    ReplyDelete