Thursday, March 17, 2011

Clean Eating Salmon Patties (or Burgers or Croquettes)

Makes 8 Servings, 1 Patty each
These are AMAZING! The first time I made them I was visiting my mom and I got started on them a little late so I fed the boys something else for dinner while they were cooking. When the patties were done my mom and I decided to test one out before dishing up the rest. We ate the whole patty in about 2 seconds flat standing at the kitchen counter. I'm not gonna lie, there was definitely a fork mini-duel for the last bite. 

We put the rest on plates and sat down to eat them in the living room while the boys were playing. Before we knew it we were being swarmed. It was like those seagulls on Finding Nemo how they say, "Mine, mine, mine," over and over... except the boys just kept repeating, "Bite, bite." LOL. At one point I got up to get a drink and Colwynn snatched a whole patty off my plate and ran. I caught him red handed next to Theron, who was holding a contraband green bean fry. Needless to say, this meal was a success :)

Salmon is generally considered a Super Food from a nutritional stand point. It's a really great source of protein and amino acids. It's also high in Omega-3 fatty acids which, among other things, have anti-inflammatory benefits and support fat-loss. But did you know it's also high in Vitamin D? So have yourself a salmon patty and it will soothe your aches and pains, help you lose weight, and stave off osteoporosis :) Plus it tastes good and is easy to make. What more could you ask for?

Each patty is only 149 calories but packs 13g of protein! While I was researching recipes, I kept misspelling "salmon" and instead was writing "slamon", hehehe. But I have to say, with those stats, these patties are some mighty slammin' salmon :) (I know, I'm weird. I'm okay with it.)

UPDATE: A year later and my 3 and 5 year old literally cheer and do happy dances when I tell them I'm making these for dinner. It always bugged me a little that they fall apart sometimes, though. This summer my swim season Nanny, Brier, was making these for us and misread the recipe and added the egg whites into the mixture. We shrugged our shoulders, added in the flour and breadcrumbs that we would have breaded them with, and stirred it all up and the resulting patties were WAY better than the original; faster to make and no more falling apart!! It's the only way we make them now :) I am adding the instructions for the new version below. You rock, Brier!!


Ingredients:
  • 1 ¼ lb salmon fillets, skinned, any bones removed (can substitute a 14.75oz can)
  • ¾ cup plus 5 Tbsp whole wheat panko or fine bread crumbs, divided (I used finely ground unfrosted miniwheats)
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
  • ¼ cup finely minced onion
  • 2 Tbsp fresh parsley leaves (2 tsp dried)
  • 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
  • ¾ tsp salt
  • 1 ½ Tbsp lemon juice
  • ½ cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 egg whites
Updated Method:
ONE: Chop salmon into ½ inch pieces. In a medium bowl, combine the salmon, all of the bread crumbs, olive oil, onion, parsley, mustard, mayonnaise, salt, lemon juice, flour, and egg whites; mix well.

TWO: Scoop out a generous ¼ cup of the mixture and, using your hands, form it into a ¾-inch thick patty. (The mixture should be fairly moist and easy to form into a patty. The patties should hold their shape and not crack when they are being formed. If they don’t hold their shape, the mixture is too wet so add a Tbsp or two of bread crumbs. If they crack, the mixture is too dry so add a Tbsp or two of water.)

THREE: Lightly oil a non-stick pan with 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Heat the oil over medium-high heat until shimmering, about 3 minutes. Add the patties and cook over medium-high heat until golden brown on both sides (about 5 minutes per side). Serve hot.

Original Recipe:
ONE: Chop salmon into ½ inch pieces. In a medium bowl, combine the salmon, 5 Tbsp panko/bread crumbs, olive oil, onion, parsley, mustard, mayonnaise, salt, and lemon juice; mix well.



TWO: Scoop out a generous ¼ cup of the mixture and, using your hands, form it into a ¾-inch thick patty. (The mixture should be fairly moist and easy to form into a patty. The patties should hold their shape and not crack when they are being formed. If they don’t hold their shape, the mixture is too wet so add a Tbsp or two of bread crumbs. If they crack, the mixture is too dry so add a Tbsp or two of water.)

THREE: As you form the patties, place them on a wax/parchment lined baking sheet. Once they are all formed, pop them in the freezer for about 15 minutes until the tops are no longer moist.


FOUR: Meanwhile, spread the flour on one plate, pour the egg whites on another, and spread the remaining ¾ cup panko/bread crumbs on a third. Dip the chilled salmon patties in the flour to coat, shaking off the excess. Dip them into the egg whites, again shaking off the excess, and then finally dip them into the panko/bread crumbs, covering completely

FIVE: Lightly oil a non-stick pan with 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Heat the oil over medium-high heat until shimmering, about 3 minutes. Add the patties and cook over medium-high heat until golden brown on both sides (about 5 minutes per side). Serve hot.


Freeze leftovers using the flash freeze method to feed your freezer stash.

Notice Colwynn trying to shove the ENTIRE stolen Salmon Patty into his mouth...
I guess if they're going to snatch food and run, I'd prefer it to be the healthy food, LOL

NUTRITION INFO:

Per serving - 149 Calories (69 Calories from Fat), 8g Fat, 1g Saturated Fat, 30mg Cholesterol, 330mg Sodium, 6g Total Carbohydrates, 1g Dietary Fiber, 1g Sugars, 13g Protein, 1% DV Vitamin A, 2% DV Vitamin C, 2% DV Calcium, 5% DV Iron

7 comments:

  1. I made this tonight and it ROCKED. The only thing I added was some finely chopped celery. What an awesome recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Gigi!! I'm so glad you liked them! This is one of the recipes that I'm most proud of :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your site and made these salmon burgers for dinner. I used fresh salmon, and they were terrific! Thanks for a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy, we made them last night lol. I hadn't made them in a few months and I had almost forgotten how amazingly delicious they were :) Glad you enjoyed them too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you ever just frozen these without the breading mixture to be used for a salmon burger? I am always looking for non processed foods for my elderly mother that I can prepare for her freezer as I have wild salmon coming out my ears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I think that could definitely work! And can I say how jealous I am about your plethora of wild salmon?! :)

      Delete
  6. Been eating these since I was little. Iam 65 . We grew up o. Them .Ade with egss crackers smashed . Make into patties . Sometimes I make noodles. Break up salmon patties into noodles . Big hit with large famliy . Four generations of making them . Ow with my kids it's five generations. So enjoy !! And yes iake extra freeze.. just heat up I microwave. Everyone joy !!

    ReplyDelete