Thursday, March 17, 2011

Clean Eating Crockpot Chicken and Apple Toss

Makes 8 servings, 1 cup each
This recipe is a spin off of my Crockpot Rosemary Balsamic Glazed Chicken (which you should also try because it is totally awesome and delicious if I say so myself). I was visiting my in-laws and I wanted to throw something into the crock so that we could all eat dinner together without anyone having to take any time away from their visiting to cook. My Mother-In-Law didn't have all of the ingredients for the Rosemary Chicken recipe so I improvised (this is BIG for me, I never cook anything without a recipe, LOL) and this dish was the result. We all liked it so much I thought it was post-worthy. So here you go :)

Just like the other recipe, this is especially fast if you already have diced veggies from your freezer stash. Plus, the chicken doesn't have to be defrosted. You can throw it right in frozen solid and it will still be perfect come dinner time. This is great for me because, even though I always have a meal plan for the week, I never seem to remember to take the meat out to defrost the night before.

Ingredients:
  • 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into big chunks (about 1 1/2 lbs, can use thighs)
  • 1 large apple, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks
  • 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
  • 1 head of garlic, peeled and separated into cloves
  • 3-4 cups of roughly chopped veggies (I used one bag of frozen Italian mixed veggies [red and green pepper, zucchini, yellow squash, and mushrooms] and about 1 1/2 cups of chopped broccoli, baby carrots, and grape tomatoes that I picked out of a salad my MIL had made for the previous night's dinner, LOL)
  • 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
  • ½ tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp soy sauce
  • 2 tsp honey
  • 2 cups finely chopped leafy green veggie like spinach (or kale)
ONE: Spray crockpot with cooking spray and place chicken pieces on the bottom.

TWO: Dump veggies (except for spinach), onion, garlic, and apple into the crockpot on top of the meat.

THREE: In a medium bowl whisk together vinegar, cinnamon, soy sauce, and honey. Pour over the veggie chicken mixture.

FOUR: Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5. Thirty minutes before serving, stir in the spinach and replace the cover (do this one hour before if using kale). Serve over brown rice or quinoa.

Freeze leftovers in 1-cup portions using the medium/large portions method.

NUTRITION INFO:
Per Serving: 68 Calories (4 Calories from Fat), 0g Fat, 0g Saturated Fat, 8mg Cholesterol, 74mg Sodium, 12g Total Carbohydrates, 2g Dietary Fiber, 7g Sugars, 5g Protein, 63% DV Vitamin A, 86% DV Vitamin C, 4% DV Calcium, 5% DV Iron

Spinach on Foodista

No comments:

Post a Comment