Friday, March 25, 2011

Clean Eating OAMC Honey Lime Dump Chicken (and Honey Lime Chicken Pizza!)

Makes 4 – 6 servings
This comes from my friend, Ashley, who originally got it from one of her favorite cookbooks, Don't Panic, Dinner's in the Freezer, Vol. 2. Ashley is a definite Once a Month Cooking pro. She’s a home schooling mother of three so she doesn’t have a whole lot of free time to mess around in the kitchen. I first tried this recipe at my other very good friend, Ariana’s, house. It’s called a dump chicken recipe because you just dump a bunch of ingredients into a bag with the chicken and freeze. Then Ariana literally pulled it out of the fridge and dumped it all in a baking dish.

Ariana, Ashley, and my other friend, Crystal (I guess I have a lot of friends, lol) get together regularly and do a marathon cooking day. They always include a recipe like this one because it’s so fast to throw together and you can do it while something else is cooking. Ashley suggests serving this over a salad (like this Strawberry Salad) or in a wrap. I serve it over brown rice and we’ve even made it into a pizza.

If there's a good sale on chicken, you could definitely tripl or quadruple this recipe and make a whole bunch all at once. I recommend freezing them in individual batches in their own freezer bags, though.

Ingredients:
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tsp jalapeno pepper (optional, I don't use this because I'm wimpy)
ONE: Mix together lime juice, olive oil, honey, cilantro, garlic and jalapeno pepper. Place chicken breasts in a gallon sized freezer bag. Pour marinade over chicken breasts. Label and freeze. (I dump all of the marinade ingredients into the bag, seal it, and shake it really well to combine. Then I throw the chicken breasts in. Saves me having to wash a bowl)

TWO: On serving day, thaw completely. Grill over medium heat until chicken is tender and juices run clear. (I bake it covered at 350 for 30 minutes [60 minutes if frozen] or throw it into the crockpot [usually frozen solid because you know I never thaw anything] and cook on low for 5-7 hours, or on high for 3-4)

TO MAKE A PIZZA:
Ingredients:
  • 1 prepared pizza dough (like this whole wheat one or this cauliflower one)
  • 1 cooked batch of Honey Lime Chicken
  • 1 Roma tomato, sliced
  • 1/2 cup kale, finely chopped
  • 1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella
ONE: Preheat the oven to 450. Spread 1/4 cup of the cooked Honey Lime glaze from the chicken evenly over the pizza crust.

TWO: Sprinkle the kale over the sauce and top with the cheese, sliced tomatoes, and cooked chicken.

THREE: Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and starting to brown on the edges. Slice and serve.

NUTRITION INFO:

Per serving (1/6 of recipe) - 304 Calories (179 Calories from Fat), 20g Total Fat, 3g Saturated Fat, 49mg Cholesterol, 42mg Sodium, 14g Carbohydrates, 12g Sugar, 19g Protein, 1% DV Vitamin A, 11% DV Vitamin C, 1% DV Calcium, 4% DV Iron

:)

4 comments:

  1. Are there any downsides with putting the chicken into the crockpot still frozen? I have never tried since the crockpot directions say not to do this, although it would be so convenient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karissa, this is an excellent question. I've heard that the crockpot directions say not to because they're worried the crock might crack. But I don't really see how that would happen b/c, by the time the crock is hot enough for there to be a big enough temperature difference, the chicken would be thawed.

    I always do it this way because I never manage to remember to take it out the night before. The crockpot lady (www.crockpot365.blogspot.com) does too and I guess I kind of figure that since she feeds her family out of the crockpot almost every day and has never had an issue with her meat being frozen going in then that's good enough for me, LOL.

    I'm sure there are some people that will claim you will surely die of some awful disease because you're festering in bacteria or something but that hasn't been my experience :)

    (If one of those people is reading this, don't send me hate mail!)

    Good luck!!
    ~Bri

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE THIS RECIPE!! I don't see why you can't just put it in frozen, I've done it.
    Briony-I'll have to try it as a pizza. Do you just put it on the dough, or over a sauce of some sort? Share! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ariana, the instructions are right below the basic recipe under the title "To Make a Pizza", LOL. I made it using a cauliflower pizza crust (link here http://freezeyourwayfit.blogspot.com/2011/03/clean-eating-cauliflower-pizza-crust.html) and it was DELICIOUS!!

    Good luck!!
    ~Bri

    ReplyDelete